- A Nature News and Views discussing my 2015 GBC paper said that it acted as “a clarion call for further work” and that it would “stimulate and challenge scientists to account for land-use and land-cover change much more realistically than is done at present.”
- My work on canopy interception capacity in coupled climate models drew the interest of climate scientists on twitter and is in the top 25% of all articles scored by Altmetric.
- Analysis of the planetary limits of BECCS I did with Andy Wiltshire has been featured in a Nature Comment article and in New Scientist.
For a full list, please see Publications
- Ph.D. ‘Climate and Crop Interactions: the Biogeophysical Effects on Climate and Vegetation’. University of Bristol, Faculty of Science, School of Geographical Sciences. 2011 – 2014.
- 20 credit Masters level/level 7 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education [A], 2012.
- Level 2 Open University Course ‘Web applications: design, development and management’ 2011.
- BSc Geography with First Class Honours, University of Bristol, 2010.
- Other qualifications some time before that.
Awards & Prizes
- Post-doc first prize of University of Exeter CEMPS twitter poster competition – June 2015
- Student voted Best poster at the Bristol Natural Systems and Processes Poster session – 24th March 2014
- Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy – 25th July 2012
- Best poster by a first year PhD student at the Bristol Natural Systems and Processes Poster competition – 19th March 2012
- Haggett Prize for meritorious performance in Geography BSc final examinations – July 2010
Bursaries and Funding Awarded
- NERC Doctoral Training grant at University of Bristol – September 2011. ~£63,000
- Workshop funding, from Cabot Institute: Agriculture and Climate Change’. £1000
- Bursary: Communicate 2013: Stories for Change – November 2013. £300
- Bursary for Statistical methods for understanding and reducing uncertainty in process-based models of the Earth system meeting – October 2013. £60
- Bursary: Future Science Leaders Workshop – September 2011. £140
- Bursary: JPL Using Satellite Observations to Advance Climate Models summer school – August 2011. ~$3000
Research Fellow – December 2016 to present
Improving representation of the Nitrogen cycle the JULES land surface model, as part of the EU CRESCENDO project. Working with Professor Pierre Friedlingstein. University of Exeter, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences.
Senior Research Associate – March 2016 to May 2017
Exploring past distributions of vegetation and their development and changes using ecosystem model, JeDi, as part of the EU paleoGENIE project. Working with: Professor Paul Valdes and Professor Andy Ridgwell. University of Bristol, School of Geographical Sciences.
Associate Research Fellow – October 2014 to February 2016
Developing and improving vegetation representation in the JULES land surface model, as part of the EU EMBRACE project, working with Professor Pierre Friedlingstein. University of Exeter, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences.
NERC funded PhD – October 2011 to September 2014
Started Oct 2011; Thesis submitted August 2014; Viva September 2014 (minor corrections); Degree awarded November 2014; Graduation ceremony February 2015. Supervisors: Professor Paul Valdes, Dr Joy Singarayer, and Mr Chris Jones.
Bristol University Bio-Geoengineering Group – May 2010 to February 2012
An operational management role for a DEFRA funded initial investigation of the potential for climate mitigation via increased crop albedo in the UK. Working with: Professor Alistair Hetherington, Professor Andy Ridgwell, and Dr Joy Singarayer. University of Bristol.
Selected Talks and Invited Talks
- ‘Effects of ‘natural’ to ‘geoengineered’ nitrogen deposition on the carbon cycle’ Talk at the iLeaps meeting, September 2017.
- ‘Effects of ‘natural’ to ‘geoengineered’ nitrogen deposition on the carbon cycle’ Talk at the JULES meeting, July 2017.
- ‘Biodiversity of Terrestrial Vegetation during Past Warm Periods’. Talk at AGU Fall meeting, December 2016.
- ‘Quantifying the relative importance of climate-forced and land-use forced land cover changes in the representative concentration pathways’. Talk at the JULES meeting, July 2014.
- ‘Full effects of land use change in the RCPs’. Talk at EGU, April 2014.
- Invited talk at CEH Interception workshop, 13th November 2013.
- Invited seminar talk to the land-surface group at University of Reading, 4th November 2013.
- ‘Cooling with Crops’. Invited oral presentation at Bristol Geoengineering Workshop, 2011.
For a full list, see presentations and posters.
Reports and Other Written Work
- Peer review – see Publons profile for full list.
- Co-author of MOHC Policy Output for AVOID, Planetary limits to BECCS negative emissions. 2015.
- Co-author on MOHC – DECC & Defra Policy Channel Output, ‘Assessment of biophysical and biogeochemical impacts of land use in a mitigation context’. 2013.
- Co-investigator in NERC large grant bid for ‘BioMYS’ Biogeoengineering, which reached final interview stage. March 2013 & November 2013.
- Proposal to the University of Bristol Teaching, Learning and Assessment board to introduce videos by postgraduate as additional learning tools for undergraduate courses. July 2012. Successful February 2013.
- Report for DEFRA on Biogeoengineering. December 2011.
- Undergraduate dissertation with a mark of 80%. 2010.
Organisational Roles and Responsibilities
- Instigator and co-ordinator of the GMD paper on the versions of HadCM3 used by the BRIDGE group. Organisation of a collaborative writing effort (via a wiki) of >20 authors from 9 institutions, taking 2 years from inception to publication.
- Lead convener for session on Land Use Change at AGU Fall meeting. Over 50 submissions, resulting in 2 Oral sessions and 1 Poster session. December 2016.
- Organiser of the ‘Food security and biodiversity’ workshop of the ‘Mainstreaming Biodiversity’ series at University of Bristol, October 2014.
- Lead convener for session GC025 Future Land use change and climate at AGU Fall meeting. Over 40 submissions, resulting in 2 Oral sessions and 1 Poster session. December 2013.
- Lead convener for Union session U001 400 ppm CO2 – Communicating Climate Science Effectively at AGU Fall meeting. December 2013. (Speakers included: Myles Allen, Naomi Oreskes and James Hansen.)
- Additional postgraduate representative for physical geographers. October 2012 to October 2013.
- Organising team for the Natural Systems and Processes Poster Session. March 2013. (Internal funding procured of £2700)
- Many other organisational responsibilities before this – please see details of instructing for some examples.
For full details of my lecturing and other teaching experience see the teaching section.